Years 10 & 11
This is when you need to start getting to know the Careers Room, where you'll find lots of information on different career paths, as well as on universities. You should also make sure you attend the Careers fair which will run while you are doing your GCSEs.
Haven't a clue what you want to do - or what you'll be good at? Help is at hand! The Morrisby profile is a paper and pencil test which assesses what your skills and interests are. Then, in a Guidance Report, it will tell you what you have revealed about yourself and suggest possible career paths, along with the qualifications you will need. After GCSEs, you will also undertake some work experience - so you can see if that job is really what you thought...
At Sixth form the Careers lessons are vital, to help you answer all your questions about the next stage -
• How do you find the course you want?
• How do you complete a UCAS form?
• What if you want to be a nurse - or go to art college - or drama school?
• What if you want to apply to Oxford or Cambridge?
• How do you write a personal statement?
• What's BMAT? LNAT? UKCAT?
• How do you apply for a grant or a student loan?
• What about applying for a gap year?
As well as the lessons there are conferences, taster courses and workshops to help you. You'll also be given time off school to visit universities, practice with interview technique and support from your personal tutor as you get ready for higher education.